The best beaches of Corfu

by - January 17, 2018

This year I missed pumpkin carvings and the whole Halloween-madness, but instead of it I enjoyed the warm sunshine again... in Corfu! In this travel diary I’m going to tell you about the island’s most beautiful beaches.

Glyfada, Beach, Corfu
© Gretta
At the very end of October, we found a fantastic offer to Corfu, what we were just not able to miss out: one of the last RyanAir planes from Budapest took us back and forth for the price of three pizza! We’ve missed the sun so much, so we decided to spend the autumn break on the Greek island instead of catching cold in Hungary.  

Most of my friends were very skeptic about what we are going to do on Corfu at the end of October, because it’s usually a summer destination: „There’s not much thing to do, just enjoy the sun and swimming in the sea” – they said, but they were very not right! However, Corfu is not the most popular destination during the autumn break (like Paris of Rome this time of the year), I really recommend it to everyone who are looking for a calm and relaxing place next to the sea.  

Before booking the flight and making our hotel reservation, I checked out what to expect: for example in 2016, during fall Corfu was totally rainy, but in 2015 it was kinda cool and nice place for sunbathing, so I packed everything: warm and thin clothes, swimsuits (of course!) and raincoats (brr) too. This time we got every type of weather: the first half of our time were very warm, but the second was kinda rainy and cold.  Despite this, I still felt myself very lucky to enjoy the latest sunshine at the end of October, while most of the people in  Hungary didn’t have any possibility like that. 

Glyfada, Beach, Corfu
© Gretta
I was afraid that If I start my vacation with sightseeing I’m going to miss out the sunniest days, so instead of exploring Kerykra, the main city, I decided to check out the best beaches. Gylfada Beach is close to to Kerykra, it was about 20-30 min by car – tho the transportation is not the best in Corfu, even in fall, when is not that many tourists there.

There are two motorways to the beach: one can be approached from the ITI Grand Hotel Glyfada (it takes to the center of the bay), while the other take a sharp turn to a tiny yellow colored building, Glyafada Beach Hotel which has been closed in our time. This part of the beach have a larger and better view to the whole bay however it was kinda rocky once you get inside the sea, so it’s definitely not work kids. Whichever you choose, the beach can be walked in an hour (or maybe even less) and it’s dream sandy everyone. Apart from few German and Russian tourists there were no one else on the beach, so it was kinda intimate – I loved it! I got back into this beach three times during my 1 week staying in Corfu – I guess it tells something very great about it.

Paleokastritsa, Beach, Corfu
© Gretta
After that, we went a little to north: Paleokastritsa's beach is attracted by a very special blue water: unfortunately, we were not really able to enjoy it, because it was full of greek sailors who wanted us to take somewhere close, next to one of the ’secret beaches’. I have to say, I would have been go by them if it would be summer, but the wind was so horrible that I prefer didnt want to spend my time in a tiny tiny boat somewhere in the middle of the sea. By the way, they asked 15 euro per person for the little boating – I guess its much more guring the tourist season – but I’m glad that I didn’t join to them.

After I asked the price of the tour, they were kinda rude and dauntless, so instead of sunbathing we went to the monastery what was 10-15 min away from the beach. We had a fantastic view from the hill -  there were several souvenir shops and restaurants as well, but I guess they are only open during the tourist season as well. We spent a very quiet and relaxing time here, but if you cant stand cats and kitties… I don't recommend to going up there because there are some seriously big ones who just want nothing but food – so honestly, they jumped to everything and everyone! :)

Sidari, Beach, Canal d'Amour, Corfu
© Gretta
One of the most unique beaches in Corfu is definitely the Sidari Beach (or the Canal d’Amour rock formation). According to legends, two lovers went to swim together on the bay and they were suddenely stoned to two lover stones, who turned to each other while making love… so their affection to each oter became eternal. Besides the nice story, the whole coast is beautiful – of course. 

A german guy was swimming in the sea and after he came out, he told us that the water is very cold, and it becoming deep very soon. The waves was just getting bigger, so he came out from the sea – be careful with swimming there, it can be kinda dangerous! However, sunbathing is kinda good on the rocks, I’m sure that its extremly hot during summer.  

Marathias, Beach, Corfu
© Gretta
The other beach, which I really really liked is the Marathias Beach, located in the southern part of the island, next to Santa Barbara. The wind was very bad so I haven’t really swimming but I took a nice walk on the beach. I’m sure that in summer this beach is full of people and I like it so much as well – it felt like I’m on a bay at the Canary Islands.So that’s all about the best beaches of Corfu.


Marathias, Beach, Corfu
© Gretta
Which of the shores I was the most disappointed with?

Cavos Beach, is located at the southern part of the island and Moraitika Beach, around 24 km from the capital city didn’t offer the most beautiful scenery. Unfortunately, they were very neglected, haunted and garbage-free (just like every other nearby beach on the East Coast), but this may be due to the fact that the entire island hardly had any tourists and the government didn't really care about the beaches.

Polystyrene pieces, plastic bottles, broken beer bottles and chips bags lined at the waterfront – it was not so nice, so we left after a half an hour. Here I have to note that I have been in Spain many-many times (out of the tourist season too) and I never had that much bad experiences about beaches there… I have to admit that on the shore of Cavos, the Greek continent was so close that I could clearly seen everything but that was the only reason I find it nice.

Cavos, Beach, Corfu
© Gretta
Before you are running to book a plane ticket to Corfu, I have to tell you that the sun was only shining til 3 pm, not more. After the weather was kinda cold and windy, however I was able to sunbathing almost every day, the sea was so cold that I never swam in the sea.

If you are staying in an apartment or holiday house, the food really have to be an issue, because most of the nice restaurants and tavernas was all closed by t the end of October. I’m sure that in spring/summer everything is open but we always had to take food with us when were exploring the island – so if you are a big gourmet fan, you should schedule your whole trip to summer that's for sure!

Marathias, Beach, Corfu
© Gretta

You May Also Like

0 megjegyzés

All Rights Reserved © 2018 Gretta